Sunday, April 8, 2007

Project update

Tonight, I go into the video lab at sundown and work on capturing my final project for film 222. As I gathered footage over the past couple weeks, the project took an unexpected direction. I think that's a good thing. When I was staying in Brooklyn, we took the subway everywhere. To enter a subway station, you must walk down dank, dark stairs to a lonely, underground interchange. Across the subway rails, there was another world of people going different ways, but where separated by a massive chasm of rails. This scenario reminded me of one of the themes of my video project: disconnect. So I decided that I would like illusions of a subway interspersed with the storyline. Even the sounds of the subway were lonely, haunting nightmares. I still need much of the actual storyline footage, but it will come together very rapidly I'm sure. For additional sound elements, I plan on checking out an SP Lav this week. I need to record sighing, coughing, and typing sounds.

Though the traveling footage concept didn't reap a whole new story in itself like I may have hoped, it produced an enhancing element for my original idea that I couldn't have brainstormed sitting around in Milwaukee. I love traveling for that reason: inspiration hides in unknown, far away places.

No comments: