Tuesday, May 8, 2007

all night homework binge

As sad as it is to admit, I am starting my final essay tonight. Ideas have bouncing around in my head for the last 2 weeks of course, but tonight is the night for implementation. My thesis statement involves sexuality and video as related to 3 pieces that we watched this semester: Sadie Benning's "If Every Girl Had a Diary," Lisa Steele's "Birthday Suit: With Scars and Defects," and Jennifer Montgomery's "Age 12:Love With a Little l." All three are in different formats and have different uses and representations of female sexuality. Steele uses sexuality not for what it is, but how it represents a nakedness of consciousness, a vulnerability. Benning uses sexuality, but not explicitly in her video. It's ironic because I felt Benning had the strongest impact in her presentation through direct confrontation and conversation. Other artists like Montgomery use jarring images of sexuality and eroticism, yet fail to impact as much as Benning's stare and earnest speech. Montgomery used shock tactics in attempt to create an emotional disturbance. These variations in approach indicate the powerful presence human sexuality holds, even in the experimental realm. I'm excited to write this paper for fleshing out my opinions and insight on such a provocative subject. I'm not excited to write this paper because I'm not sure I can do such a subject justice. Only time will tell.

No comments: